Capdepera Castle lies atop a mountain in the northeast of the Island of Majorca. It enjoys marvellous views over the inland fields, the coastline and the Minorca Channel, which separates the two islands.
It is a fortified structure built during the 14th century under the orders of King Jaume II so that that inhabitants of the region would have somewhere to settle, especially during those periods when pirate attacks were more common. In the 16th century it hosted 125 houses within its walls. In the end the compound fell into disuse and was uninhabited until the 18th century when it became a military complex, ruled by a governor until 1854, when the castle was abandoned. The castle was forgotten in the 19th century and it wasn´t until 1983 that it passed into the hands of the local authorities. It is currently managed by a board of trustees.
Capdepera Castle was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest (“BIC” in the Spanish acronym), a status which affords maximum protection for our historic heritage.
This monument can be visited all year round.
The income raised from the entry fee goes toward the maintenance and conservation of the cultural heritage of the municipality of Capdepera.